Sunday, January 31, 2016

Meet John David + Birth Story

Hi Friends! Ever since having my son John I noticed I've been neglecting my blog. It's not because I don't love you! I just have been loving John and being a new mommy more ;) So today I thought since I haven't posted about John since having him I'd share about my little guy and his birth story.

John was born one week and two days after his due date which was November 27th. I guess he was just too cozy in mama's belly and decided December was the better month for him. I didn't mind though, all I cared about was that he was healthy. On December 6th he finally made his debut at 10:31 p.m. He weighed 7 pounds and 8 ounces and was 21.5 inches long.

Now let's rewind back to December 5th some time around 3 a.m. It was that time I woke up to use the bathroom and noticed I was having lower stomach cramps similar to a menstrual cycle. I didn't really think too much of it because throughout my pregnancy they would come and go, but last less than thirty minutes or so. Later, I went again and noticed a little bit of blood and that's when I thought maybe, just maybe I was going into labor. Somewhere around 5 a.m. I started feeling contractions so my husband and I started to keep track of how far apart they were. At around 7 a.m. they were about 3-5 minutes apart which is when the hospital wants you to call. So I did and while I was talking on the phone with the advice nurse telling her what was going on she noticed how long we were on the phone for which was longer than 5 minutes. In other words it was too soon for me to come in. She told me to continue to keep track of them and take a walk to see if that gets them going again. All day contractions were pretty sporadic around 15 minutes then 8 minutes then 10 and so on. It felt like forever and it sure was frustrating.  I just wanted to head to the hospital already!

Now let's fast forward to somewhere around 1:30 a.m. December 6th. My contractions finally became close enough together and painful enough where it was finally time to hit the road. We're about 45 minutes away from the hospital so I was very thankful that it wasn't until the wee hours of the morning that we were going. Traffic and painful contractions doesn't paint a pretty picture in my mind and luckily we made it to the hospital in record time. My husband was so sweet and piled me into the car with loads of blankets and a pillow that I squeezed on every time I felt a contraction. Hashtag sweetest husband award.

Once at the hospital we just kind of waited around. My contractions started slowing down again and no sign of baby boy. They gave me something for the pain (I forget what it was called, but it wasn't an epidural.) That helped a lot and I was able to finally get some sleep. A few hours later when that wore off and the pain started again the nurse asked if I wanted an epidural and I happily accepted.

Since I wasn't progressing they decided to induce me with petocin to see if that would help get the ball rolling. I can't remember when, but they also broke my water to see if that would help too. It wasn't until the evening where I was getting closer contractions that things really started progressing.

I remember at somewhere around 9 p.m. I felt like I (forgive me if this is too TMI for you) had to go number two. I very shyly told that to the midwife and she told me that was a good sign and that I should be able to start pushing soon. I asked her what time she was off because she was the third midwife I had that day and she said she was off at 11 p.m. I had been there so long that I went through three nurses shifts as well as midwives. I really didn't want to get another new set of them before I delivered. Luckily the hospital I delivered in had the sweetest girls working there, but still I was so close and had really gotten close with the midwife and nurse I had at the end.

Finally it became closer to push. My husband was by my side as contractions were stronger then ever. He was very sweet holding my hand through the pain letting me squeeze it ever so tightly. There is no one else in the world I'd rather have by my side. He's just the best.

At almost 10 p.m. we geared up for me to start delivery. Two nurses lifted my numb legs onto the stirrups and it was time to push. I was so nervous but I was even more excited to meet my little baby boy. They kept telling me one more push... one more push... and after I'd push they'd say it again. I felt like I was going to be pushing all day, but after 30 minutes of pushing and "one more push" our son was out. He was perfect. All ten fingers and toes. They handed him to me and I looked at my husband and said he's so cute! We were overjoyed with love. Our first born son was here.

We named him John David after my dad John and my husband's dad David. I love the two names together and I couldn't imagine naming him anything else. We didn't tell anyone his name while I was pregnant so you can imagine how surprised the new grandpas were. :)

We have been in heaven ever since having John. I can't believe he's finally here and I can kiss his cute face whenever I want (which I do quite often. hehe!) Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it. xo.

No comments

Post a Comment